// Paid partnership with Carpe Diem Beds, all words are my own and I only ever work with brands I love and think you will too*
The North of Sweden experienced its first dusting of snow this week – a sign that winter is on its way! Eeek! Here in the south, the mornings have become progressively darker and as the cold wind blows, we’re starting to migrate indoors. And there’s nowhere I’d rather be than in bed!
I guess there’s nothing too unusual about that. They say the average person spends 26 years of their life sleeping (seriously?) add to that reading, and luxurious lie-ins and we’re talking a serious amount of time in bed!
With this revelation in mind, winter looming, and a wonderful trip to visit the birthplace of Carpe Diem Beds on Sweden’s West coast still fresh in my mind, I felt inspired to give my bedroom a complete Scandinavian luxury makeover just in time for winter. Here are 14 tips in case you’d also like to add a little luxury to your boudoir this winter!
1. Invest in a bed that’s just right for you! No amount of luxurious bedlinen can compensate for a mattress that’s not suited to your needs! If you haven’t already, speak to a bed expert to find out what type of mattress you need. Per and I tested a load of different beds before choosing our Sandö bed from Carpe Diem Beds a few years back. Each side has a different firmness, and it’s transformed the way we sleep and how we feel when we wake up. I’m not going to lie, Per still snores though!
2. Invest in a good mattress topper: I promise, this will make all the difference to your comfort! Since the climate is really variable with cold winters and warmish summers in Sweden, we chose a mattress topper with a cotton-lined side for summer and a wool-lined side for winter (I just flipped it this week in fact!). There are lots of varieties on the market to suit all budgets so do take a look!
3. Use a mattress protector: not only will this protect your mattress – it will also make your bed feel even more cosy when you slip under the covers.
4. Use the right duvet for the season: Depending on the climate you live in and how well the temperature in your room is regulated (according to research, the ultimate bedroom temperature is a relatively cool 18.3 degrees celsius / 65 degrees Fahrenheit) – you ned to make sure you have the right duvet to suit your needs according to the season. My daughter recently described our duvets as ‘fluffy cloud’ – high praise indeed!
5. Use two single duvets rather than a double: Yes, REALLY! This might not come as a surprise to you if you live in Scandinavian or some parts of Europe. But it’s really the only way to get the absolute BEST night sleep possible simply because you can choose your own duvet thickness, stick limbs out at will, and won’t fight over the covers!
6. Use a pillow (or two) that’s just right for your needs: An essential element – as the firmness / style will totally affect the way you sleep. My Mum also taught me to always use a pillow protector (this could be as simple as covering your pillow with an old, worn-out pillowcase which will then go under your a actual pillowcase). I’ve also added larger cushions which match the bed upholstery (Zaragoza Eggshell by Designers Guild) to have something to cosy up against while reading.
7. Make your bed with beautiful linen! Let me in on you a secret, Per never texts me. If he does, it will be two letters, like ‘OK’! But the other day after I’d prepped our bedroom for winter, he sent me a text that read: ‘this bedding is incredible’.
An unprecedented four words without prompt!
The secret: it’s all in the thread count – the higher the thread count the more luxurious it feels and our new Havbris bedlinen has an immensely high thread count of 500. Also, dare I say it – a simple iron makes a big difference too – boring!
8. Keep a spare blanket to hand: just in case of drafts, extra cold feet etc!
9. Add soft, warm lighting and a beautiful scent: Tap into all the senses by adding a lovely warm glow and a beautiful scent to the room. This hand poured Gryning candle smells divine!
Word of caution, be vigilant- never leave a naked flame unattended and always ensure it’s well away from anything flammable.
10. Coffee and a good read: what would a luxurious lie-in be without either of these?
11. Add somewhere to sit: hopping around the room on one foot while getting dressed / undressed doesn’t spell luxurious – so make sure you include a place to sit- weather a bench, ottoman or footstool (the latter adds an instant ‘dressing room’ feel.
12. Treat yourself to some heavenly nightwear: whatever your preferred style, make sure it feels wonderful against your skin and you can move freely (like this silk robe!).
13. Keep moisturisers to hand: skin dries out so much more in the winter!
14. Turn off your phone and relax!
All this writing about winter luxury bedrooms makes me want to go straight back to bed, and the clocks haven’t even gone forward yet.
I hope this has given you a few ideas for your own bedroom. Please do feel free to add your own tips in the comment section below!
Sov Gott! / Sweet dreams!
*This post is brought to you in paid collaboration with Carpe Diem Beds and includes gifted items. All words are my own and I only ever recommend brands I love and think you will too. Thank you for supporting the Scandinavian businesses that make My Scandinavian Home possible.