If you’ve been lusting after a lumbar cushion but can’t find one that’s just right, this hack is for you! Using an indoor mat from Adairs, I created this on-trend cushion in minutes.
Here’s how you can hack your own lumbar cushion!
Related article: DIY no-zip designer-look ice dye cushion
Related article: Kmart hack coffee table: Cheap veneer to luxe concrete top industrial coffee table
Items you will need:
- Decorative fabric or mat (I used an indoor mat from Adairs). Your cushion should be at least 80cm wide and 30cm wide (see Step 1 for more info on sizing).
- Plain cotton fabric to sew basic inner pillow
- Feathers or fill to stuff your pillow (you can repurpose stuffing from pillows you no longer use in your home)
- Buttons, velcro, press studs or zip to close the pillow (I used velcro)
- Sewing machine
1. Decide on your size. Most lumbar cushions are 80-120cm wide and 30-50cm wide. It should be in proportion with your bed ie you would make a larger cushion for a king bed and a smaller cushion for a queen or double bed.
The print of your fabric or size of the mat you find may also influence your decision. I made my lumbar cushion 80cm long and 30cm wide because the mat I used was 80cm x 60cm. So, I just folded it in half down the length to create my lumbar cushion.
2. Sew a simple inner cushion at your desired size using plain cotton fabric. I used white cotton fabric from Lincraft to sew a basic rectangle that is 80cm long by 30cm wide. Stuff it with feathers or fill and sew shut. Be warned, feathers can get messy but it’s worth it for a more luxe look and the cushion will also sits better.
3. Make your outer cushion to the same size. If you use a mat like me, you’ll only need to fold it in half down the length. Or if you find a beautiful fabric, you can repeat the steps above to sew a simple rectangle.
Whatever technique you use, be sure to keep one end open where you can attach either buttons, press studs, zip or velcro (like I used) so you can remove the cover and wash when needed.
Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links. This means that when you click on a link and purchase something from that site, we may make a small commission at no extra cost to you.